Last updated: 09 August 2011
ChessCube is a large and vibrant community of passionate chess players of all levels. We want to make sure that ChessCube is a fun place for all of our users. In short, our policy is “be nice”, but to make sure all our users know what that means, we have laid out ChessCube’s Acceptable Use Policy below.
This Acceptable Use Policy (the “Policy”) sets out the rules governing the submission of user content (“Content”) to ChessCube at www.ChessCube.org or any of our web services including but not limited to ChessCube applications on Facebook (“ChessCube”), including our forums (“Forums”) and interactive chess playing and chatting facilities (“Chat”) as well as interactions and content submitted via platforms where ChessCube has an official presence, including but not limited to Facebook.
By using ChessCube or any of its services, you accept the terms of this Policy.
- GENERAL RESTRICTIONS
You must not use ChessCube in any way that causes, or may cause, damage to ChessCube or impairment of the availability or accessibility of ChessCube, or any of the areas of, or services on, ChessCube.You must not use ChessCube:
- in any way which is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful; or
- in connection with any unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful purpose or activity.
- UNLAWFUL AND ILLEGAL MATERIAL
You must not use ChessCube to store, host, copy, distribute, display, publish, transmit or send Content which is illegal or unlawful, or which will or may infringe a third party’s legal rights, or which could give rise to legal action whether against you or us or a third party (in each case under any applicable law).Content (and its publication on ChessCube) must not:
- be libellous or maliciously false;
- be obscene or indecent;
- infringe any copyright, moral rights, database rights, trade mark rights, design rights, rights in passing off, or other intellectual property rights;
- infringe any rights of confidence, rights of privacy, or rights under data protection legislation;
- constitute negligent advice or contain any negligent statement;
- constitute an incitement to commit a crime;
- be in contempt of any court, or in breach of any court order;
- be in breach of racial or religious hatred or discrimination legislation;
- be blasphemous;
- be in breach of any contractual obligation owed to any person.
- SOFTWARE OR OTHER ASSISTANCE
ChessCube is for players to play live chess games with each other. All games on ChessCube must be played without any form of assistance, unless you are explicitly permitted to do so by ChessCube. Specifically:
- you must not use chess software of any kind – including playing engines or reference databases – to assist you during your games;
- you cannot get assistance from any person, book or other reference material or source during game-play;
- you cannot have another user play for you or use your username for any purpose;
- you cannot use any software, or exploit any system feature or bug that in any way interferes with normal game-play in order to give yourself a time, positional or other advantage;
- you cannot assist yourself by playing against yourself for whatever reason, including to boost your own rating;
- you cannot assist yourself or others by deliberately losing for whatever reason, including to improve your handicap or boost a player’s rating.
- GRAPHIC MATERIAL
Content must not depict violence in an explicit, graphic or gratuitous manner.Content must not be pornographic or sexually explicit, or consist of or include explicit, graphic or gratuitous material of a sexual nature.
- HARMFUL SOFTWARE
You must not use ChessCube to promote or distribute any viruses, Trojans, worms, root kits, spyware, adware or any other harmful software, programs, routines, applications or technologies.You must not use ChessCube to promote or distribute any software, programs, routines, applications or technologies that will or may negatively affect the performance of a computer or introduce significant security risks to a computer.
- FACTUAL ACCURACY
Content must not be untrue, false, inaccurate or misleading.Statements of fact contained in Content must be true; and statements of opinion contained on Content must be truly held and where possible based upon facts which are true.You may not publicly accuse others of cheating since you cannot ascertain whether this is factually correct and are expected to report all suspected cheating by using the abuse reporting system on Chat or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.You may not impersonate others on ChessCube in a manner that does or is intended to annoy, mislead, confuse, or deceive others.You may not create user accounts which use the real names (or variations thereof) of FIDE titled chess players if you are not that player.
- NEGLIGENT ADVICE
Content must not consist of or contain any instructions, advice or other information which may be acted upon and could, if acted upon, cause:
- illness, injury or death; or
- any other loss or damage.
- MARKETING AND SPAM
You must not without our prior written permission use ChessCube for any purposes related to marketing, advertising, promotion, or the supply and/or sale of goods and/or services.Content must not constitute spam.You must not use ChessCube to transmit or send unsolicited commercial communications.You must not use ChessCube to market, distribute or post chain letters or pyramid schemes or similar material.
Ratings are determined algorithmically based on players’ performance in games. ChessCube does not manually alter ratings and does not entertain correspondence related to altering ratings.. If a game is terminated due to a disconnection in service, no ratings are lost or gained for that game.
Content must be appropriate, civil, tasteful and accord with generally accepted standards of etiquette and behaviour on the internet.Content must not be grossly offensive, deceptive, threatening, abusive, harassing, or menacing, hateful, discriminatory or inflammatory.Content should not cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety.Content should not reveal other user’s personal information, including real names, age, location, gender, other usernames and any other information that the user does not willingly volunteer themselves.Do not flame or conduct flame wars on ChessCube (“flaming” is the sending hostile messages intended to insult, in particular where the message is directed at a particular person or group of people).Do not troll on ChessCube (“trolling” is the practice of deliberately upsetting or offending other users).Do not maliciously stalk others on ChessCube (“stalking” is following or observing a person persistently, especially out of obsession or derangement).You must not flood ChessCube with Content focusing upon one particular subject or subject area, repeated or random text strings, and repeated images or emoticons/smilies, whether alone or in coordination with other users.Do not unnecessarily submit textual content in CAPITAL LETTERS.
ChessCube is for the enjoyment of chess players from around the world. We trust that ChessCube members will conduct themselves in a sporting manner at all times. This includes, but is not limited to, treating other players with courtesy and respect, not misrepresenting yourself, and not abandoning games before the time control is up.While ChessCube does monitor some unsportsmanlike behaviour, we cannot monitor all user behaviour.
You must not link to any website or web page containing material that would, were it posted on ChessCube, breach the preceding terms of this Policy or any other ChessCube Policies.
- BREACHES OF THIS POLICY
We reserve the right to edit or remove any Content in our sole discretion for any reason, without notice or explanation.Without prejudice to this general right, if you breach this Policy in any way, or if we reasonably suspect that you have breached this Policy in any way, we may:
- delete or edit any of your Content;
- send you one or more formal warnings;
- temporarily suspend your access to a part or all of ChessCube;
- permanently prohibit you from using a part or all of ChessCube;
- block computers using your Internet Protocol address from accessing ChessCube;
- contact your internet services provider and request that they block your access to ChessCube; and/or
- bring court proceeding against you for breach of contract or otherwise.
- BANNED USERS
Where we suspend or prohibit your access to ChessCube or a part of ChessCube, you must not take any action to circumvent such suspension or prohibition (including without limitation using a different account).ChessCube has the right to revoke any remaining Cubits and Crowns from a banned user’s account, and will not provide any form of refund.If you are Premium or VIP Member and you are banned for breach of any of ChessCube’s Policies or Terms, you may not receive a refund for your Premium or VIP Membership.
Notwithstanding the provisions of this Policy, we do not actively monitor Content.If you become aware of any material on ChessCube that contravenes this Policy, please notify us by using the abuse reporting system on Chat or by email to email@example.com.
- APPLICABLE LAW
This Policy will be governed by and construed in accordance with South African law.